VALIDITY OF NIGERIA PASSPORT IS NOW 10 YEARS
After many years of debates, appeal and criticism of the way Nigeria international passport was harshly pegged to five years without option of an extension or renewal, Nigeria President, Muhammadu Buhari has approved the validity period of Nigeria International passport, therefore, the validity of Nigeria passport is now 10 years. This is coming 10 years after the e-passport was originally introduced.
According to the Channels Television news reports of July 26th, 2018, The Comptroller General of Nigeria Immigration Service, Muhammed Babandede, stated that one of the reform the President approved is the improvement in quality, security of our passport.
He said “Ten years after its existence, the e-passport is an excellent system, well enrollment system, well digital system, but we need to improve certain security features. You can’t keep a documents for 10 years without losing value in them.. which will raise the standards of our security hips”
Quoting him further the CGIS said as follows “President Buhari has equally approved ten years validity for passports which is a great news. When the reports comes, passports will be valid for ten years, which is great news especially for adults from the age of eighteen and above, it will be less work”
He stated further that ” Even the people will pay more, if they can pay more and get the booklet quickly, it’s good but the booklets would be available”
Still on validity of Nigeria passport is now 10 years.
ADVANTAGES OF THE NEW SYSTEM.
1. Drastically reduced stress of visiting the passport office, wasting time and reissue every 5 years.
2. The cost of a booklet will be less in the long run.
3. Drastically reduced the traffic in various passport offices.
4. The total cost of production will be less.
5. With the reduction in officers needed for production and needless interviews, the service can concentrate on more important security challenges of the nation.
6. Corruption minded officers will focus elsewhere because passport offices will be less attractive.
7. Furthermore, Nigeria will join other civilized nations that placed high values on their citizens by using the 10 years validity system.
STILL OF VALIDITY OF NIGERIA PASSPORT IS NOW 10 YEARS
Please note that the new system may not take effect immediately, I believed it will starts to operate when the Nigeria Immigration Service commence the issuance of the so-called more secured and more expensive e-passport, probably next year.
We are waiting.
- HOW MUCH IS NIGERIA INTERNATIONAL PASSPORT
- HOW TO AVOID REFUSED DEPARTURE
Tags: Validity of Nigeria passport is now 10 years.