Travelling to the Island country of Sao Tome and Principe is not a popular destination for travellers from Nigeria. We are here to illustrates on Travel to Sao Tome and Principe from Nigeria step by step guide in order to shed some light on how to make a hitch-free trip to the beautiful Island country.
WHERE IS SAO TOME AND PRINCIPE LOCATED
Sao Tome and Principe is an island country located in the Gulf of Guinea, off the western equatorial coast of Africa. The capital and the seat of government is Sao Tome, which is the largest city in the country. Sao Tome and Principe is Africa’s second smallest country by population. It’s bigger than Africa’s number one smallest country, Seychelles.
HOW TO REACH SAO TOME AND PRINCIPE
There are various ways you can travel to the Islands country, in the end, you will definitely use an Aeroplane to get to the country:
1. You can fly from Lagos to Sao Tome using TAAG Angola Airlines, roundtrip economy is about USD32O.
The distance between Lagos, Nigeria and Sao Tome and Principe is about 787 kilometres.
2. Going by direct flight, you can use Ryanair, it operates nonstop flights between Lagos and Sao Tome. Their departure time is around 1.30 p.m. and the distance is about two hours five minutes.
3. Travel to Ghana by road, and find an airline plying Ghana to Sao Tome route. The distance between Ghana and Sao Tome and Principe is 1206. A direct flight from Ghana to Sao Tome is under two hours.
STILL ON TRAVEL TO SAO TOME AND PRINCIPE IS SAO TOME AND PRINCIPE FROM NIGERIA STEP BY STEP GUIDE
IS SAO TOME AND PRINCIPE A VISA-FREE COUNTRY FOR NIGERIA?
Currently no. The issue of evisa on arrival as apply to Nigeria citizens travelling to Sao Tome and Principe is not effective, therefore if you intend travelling to the Island country you need a visa to enter.
You have to make a proper enquiry on how to apply for Sao Tome and Principe visa in Nigeria. You can get the visa by applying through their embassy in Abuja, Nigeria.
The Address is as follows:
Embassy of Sao Tome and Principe,
No. 10, Queen Elizabeth Street,
Telephone: Secretary +234 9780 7820
Counselor +234 810 408 7880
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Counselor ‘s Email address: email@example.com.
SAO TOME AND PRINCIPE – TOURIST VISA REQUIREMENTS
1. Sao Tome and Principe visa application form
2. Your International passport with at least 6 months validity and unused visa pages.
3. Your flight itinerary
4. One passport sized photograph with white background.
5. Your reasons for choosing or travelling to Sao Tome and Principe.
6. Your basic travelling allowance.
7. Evidence of return ticket.
8. Evidence of accommodation arrangement.
9. Police clearance certificate.
10. Your bank account statement duly endorsed by the Bank authority.
11. All original documents you’re submitting must come with a set of photo copies.
Please note that you have to submit them personally at the Sao Tome and Principe Embassy in Abuja and await the outcome before setting out.
IS SAO TOME AND PRINCIPE A SAFE PLACE TO VISIT?
Currently, Sao Tome and Principe is not known for an act of terrorism, arm robberies, kidnapping, rape and other violent crime bedevilled many other mainland African countries, therefore it is safe to say Sao Tome and Principe is a very safe place for visitors and inhabitants generally.
STILL ON TRAVEL TO SAO TOME AND PRINCIPE FROM NIGERIA STEP BY STEP GUIDE
THINGS TO NOTE BEFORE DEPARTING
After you have secured your visa, these are some of the important things to note to avoid refused departure from Nigeria:
1. Ensure your travelling documents are genuine and valid for the trip.
2. Because most airlines going to Sao Tome leave early afternoon, be sure you arrive at the airport early to avoid traffic holdups, before the airline starts the check-in procedures. Arriving at the Airport late or doing frivolous things instead of joining the queue may lead to missing the flight.
3. As soon as you checked in your luggage and obtained the boarding pass do not engage in any sidewalk but move straight to the immigration departure counters. If you delay definitely be expecting long queues at the immigration departure counters which could lead to missing your flight. Please note that, reschedule flight will automatically attract more monetary charges from the Airlines.
ARRIVING SAO TOME
When you arrive Sao Tome Airport please note the following points before you reach immigration arrival counters:
1. If you’re a first time visitor to Sao Tome be careful on the type of luggage you carry. Having large suitcases could send a wrong signer that you intend to settle in Sao Tome which an immigration or security personnel could use to refuse you entry.
2. If you processed the visa through an Agent, ensure you study and understand the type of visa issued to you. If the visa is written in a language you don’t understand ensure you show it to someone with sound knowledge of the language to explain it to you.
3. Ensure that your passport, return ticket, health certificate and the basic travelling allowance are in your hand luggage to avoid delay and confusion at the immigration point.
4. Desist from making friends with a stranger until you reach outside the arrival hall.
5. Know the exact address you intend to stay. If you’re visiting a relative know the person’s name and the contact address.
6. Finally, avoid assisting a fellow traveller in carrying anything no matter the condition.
LEAVING THE ARRIVAL HALL
After the conclusion of Immigration and Customs clearances, the next step is to step out of the Airport and board a transport to your destination.
Never be in a hurry to enter a vehicle you’re not sure of and avoid Airport caps. Most of them are highly expensive. Go for Airport Shuttle bus or other means of public transport.
ACCOMMODATION IN SAO TOME
If you don’t have a pre-arranged accommodation arrangement and you do not know the exact place to secure accommodation it is advisable you contact professional accommodation arrangers. Booking.com, hotel.com and Airbnb may be of immense assistance in this regard.
For young people, you may ask for hostels instead of staying in normal hotels. Hostels are very cheap and the surest place to meet and make friends, in that it’s an avenue to mingle and shares facilities normally.
CURRENCY OF SAO TOME AND PRINCIPE
The dobra is the official currency of Sao Tome and Principe. It is called or abbreviated Db
One Sao Tome and Principe Db = 0.0171 Nigeria Naira
One Euro = Db24,530
One US Dollar = Db22,480
Bringing cash in euros is highly recommended for you because there are no international Automatic Teller Machines (ATMs). Furthermore, exchange your euros is better done through informal brokers, it is the cheapest and legal.
FOOD IN SAO TOME
Sao Tome and Principe as an Island country are blessed with kinds of seafood and you will enjoy and have plenty of fresh seafood while you’re there.
A lady traveller to the country recently recommended a restaurant that I am looking forward to visiting whenever I’m in Sao Tome. She called it Dona Tété. It is there for you. You can Google it if you have trouble finding the place.
If you want to eat the national dish of Sao Tome ask for Calulu, it is made of smoked fish, palm oil and Santomean vegetables, delicious, go for it.
THINGS TO DO IN SAO TOME AND PRINCIPE
It’s important to note that Sao Tome and Principe is one of the continents of Africa’s least visited countries, therefore you will definitely enjoy your visit here. There are no overcrowded facilities above all there are so many amazing activities to engage you throughout your stay in Sao Tome and Principe.
Furthermore, it is good to note that this beautiful Island country has been selected by Lonely Planet as one of the top destinations to visit in 2019. Enjoy yourself.
LOOKING FOR JOBS IN SAO TOME AND PRINCIPE
Sao Tome and Principe realistically a Portuguese speaking country therefore if you cannot communicate don’t expect to find a job. However, if you’re a well-qualified person in certain skills on demand here you stand a better chance of landing good jobs regardless of the language barrier.
Furthermore, if you’re a master in English it is possible to get English teaching jobs.
Feel free to try these links: Career Jet and Trovit. These sites have job postings for Sao Tome and Principe.
Please note if you’re looking for a job it is advisable to search and apply from your country or you come here on a visit, search for a job if you secure employment, you can go back and apply for a work visa at the Sao Tome and Principe Embassy in your country of residence.
That’s all for now on Travel to Sao Tome and Principe from Nigeria step by step guide.
- 10 EASIEST COUNTRIES GOOD FOR IMMIGRATION FROM NIGERIA
- HAJJ 2019, HOW TO PERFORM HOLY PILGRIMAGE TO MECCA
- MALIAN PASSPORT VISA FREE COUNTRIES FULL LIST 2019
- GRENADA PASSPORT VISA FREE COUNTRIES 2019 FULL LIST
- TRAVEL TO FIJI ISLANDS FROM NIGERIA STEP BY STEP GUIDE
Tags: Travel to Sao Tome and Principe from Nigeria step by step guide.