Belgium, the West European country and the headquarters of the European Union remain a popular destination for Nigeria travellers due to the conducive atmosphere and the friendly disposition of the Belgian citizens. Here we’re high delighted in analysing travel to Belgium from Nigeria step by step guide to make your trip a hitch-free one.
REASONS FOR TRAVELING TO BELGIUM
Regardless of your reasons for undertaking a trip to Belgium, be it business, touring, holidaying, researching, sojourning, relocation, medical or Studies, there are things we believed vividly you should take into cognizance from the onset which some potential travellers usually overlook or do not take seriously until they ran into trouble which could be very costly at the end.
PLANNING YOU TRAVEL
These are important things to ask yourself:
1. Fund, do you have enough fund for the trip.
2. Do you have a valid passport
3. Are you healthy enough for the trip
4. Would you be able to speak their language in a situation where many locals refuse to speak English?
5. What’re your reasons for the trip? Are you on vacation or searching for a job? Are you planning outright relocating to Belgium or on a short visit?
IS BELGIUM THE RIGHT PLACE TO TRAVEL?
Currently, there is no report of hostility against immigrants living in Belgium and the place is adjudged to be safe for foreigners visiting and working in Belgium. Nowadays immigrants who could not find jobs or findings staying in some other hostile or unfriendly European countries prefer relocating to Belgium to settle down or coming to do business.
TRAVEL TO BELGIUM FROM NIGERIA STEP BY STEP GUIDE
HOW TO GET THERE
The only option available in travelling to Belgium is by flight from Nigeria to Belgium.
Because of the popularity and the frequency of people travelling to Belgium, there are various Airlines operating flights to Belgium from different Cities in Nigeria.
According to multiple travel experts analysis Turkish and Ethiopian Airlines most of the time offer the best deals to Brussels flights:
1. Ethiopian Airline Lagos to Brussels roundtrip with two stopovers = USD785
2. Turkish airline, Lagos to Brussels roundtrip with one stopover = USD844.
WHY NIGERIANS TRAVEL TO BELGIUM
Unlike visitors from different advanced countries of the world that travel to Belgium for sightseeing or visiting because of incredible architecture in cities such as Antwerp, Ghent, Bruges, Brussels and the easiness of moving from one place to another. On the contrary immigrants from Nigeria are travelling for economic reasons and seeking a better life, due to the prevailing economic situation at home.
LANGUAGES OF BELGIAN
Belgium is a multicultural society. Language-wise the country is divided into two. You have the Dutch-speaking Flemish mainly in the northern part and the French-speaking Wallonians in the South. If you stay or do your business in the capital city Brussels you will have no language problem due to the fact that it is the headquarters of the European Union, English speakers are not difficult to come by. However don’t be surprised if some Belgians especially Flemish speakers refuse to speak English despite the fact that they’re fluent in English, due to their past political history they don’t like speaking English. If you intend staying longer you have no option than to learn how to speak the local language.
TRAVEL BY TRAIN IN BELGIUM
The beauty of being in Belgium is moving around by train from one city to another. Belgium has one of the best train connections in Europe. If you travel to Belgium and didn’t enter their Trains you have not being to Belgium. I travelled to Belgium a few years ago. Travelling from Brussels to the Port city of Antwerp and the easiness in connecting other major cities, is a beautiful experience I will like to repeat often. If you travel northward don’t sleep otherwise you may find yourself in Amsterdam.
STILL ON TRAVEL TO BELGIUM FROM NIGERIA STEP BY STEP GUIDE
PROCESSING THE BELGIUM VISA FROM NIGERIA
Now that you have the background knowledge of Belgium the next step is to process a Belgian visa from Nigeria.
There are two types of visa you can process:
1. Short term visa also is known as Schengen visa. This is the type of visa issued to any foreigner who is staying in Belgium or the Schengen zone for a period, not more than 90 days. This type of visa is specially meant for visiting, touring, vacationing, business or conferences.
2. Long-term visa. Is targeted to those coming to stay longer than 90 days, such as Studies, working, reunion, refugees or relocation.
Getting the Belgium Schengen visa is not difficult if you have all their requirements and have the means.
You can read in our write-up facts36.com/how to apply for Belgium visa in Nigeria.
LANGUAGE PREFERENCE FORM:
When you’re filling the Belgian Visa Application form you will discover that there is a language preference, that is The Government of Belgium allows you to choose which of their 3 national languages you prefer your application to be treated. Namely: French, German or Dutch. However, if you prefer to complete the application in English. You have to “no preference”
ALLOWS ENOUGH TIME FOR VISA PROCESSING
It is advisable you give a reasonable number of days for the visa processing. Right from the day you submitted your completed visa application form and attach the necessary requirements allows at least 15 working days for the visa processing for the Schengen visa.
THINGS TO KNOW BEFORE TRAVELING TO BELGIUM
After you’ve obtained your visa please note the following points in order to have a smooth departure.
1. Arrive early to the Airport: On your day of departure be sure you arrive early to the airport prior to the commencement of airline check-in activities.
2. It’s advisable you be online before the Airline starts their checking in activities, it will save you a lot of time if your luggage were check in on time.
3. As soon as you checked in your luggage and obtained the boarding pass move straight to the immigration departure counters. Avoid frivolous activities such as photographs and engaging in sidetalk with friends because you still have immigration and other security areas to cross.
4. Avoid reaching immigration departure counters late: If you arrive late to immigration departure counter be expecting long queues which is common in this area due to nonchalant and lateness last-minute rush of travellers.
5. Avoid missing your flight: Late arrival to immigration counters and security zone usually lead to missing the flight for the day. Please note that if you miss your flight it will definitely attract extra Airline and Airport charges whenever you decided to travel.
STILL ON TRAVEL TO BELGIUM FROM NIGERIA STEP BY STEP GUIDE – ARRIVING BELGIUM AIRPORT
Things to note before reaching the arrival immigration clearance point:
1. If you’re a first-time traveller, be mindful of the luggage you travel with, having large suitcases may send a wrong signer to the immigration and other security personnel involves in clearance that you’re not on a short visit but coming to settle down once and for all, which could lead to refuse entry.
2. Be sure your passport, return ticket, health certificate, basic travelling allowance etc. are in your hand luggage. Your inability to produce any on demand can easily course confusion and unnecessary delay.
3. Avoid making friends or socialising with strangers within the immigration control area.
4. Do not carry anything for anyone no matter the condition, it could be risky.
STEPPING OUT OF THE AIRPORT
After stepping out of the Airport, the next step is to board a vehicle to your destination. Be mindful of the kind of transport you use from the Airport, some are not only expensive but exploitative. Go to public transport. Buses or train are highly recommended.
If you don’t have pre-arranged accommodation, it’s advisable you contact the professionals to help in this regard. Numerous tourists friendly accommodations are everywhere in Belgium
Young travellers that are on budget can choose hostels instead of staying in normal Hotels, Staying in hostels will reduce your expenses drastically and allows you to mingle and make friends with ease
YOUR REASONS FOR COMING AND THINGS TO DO IN BELGIUM
There are various activities that can engage you here, such as visiting incredible places, moving around the Belgian cities and sightseeing are enough to blow you away.
LOOKING FOR JOBS
If your intention is to come here to search for a job, that’s a very serious one. let’s give you some tips:
1. Once a while there are jobs available for non-EU citizens in Brussels been the capital of the European Union. Hence English speakers can land a job if they can connect appropriate channel.
2. Please note this from the onset that outside Brussels there might be difficulty in getting jobs if you don’t speak some amount of French and Dutch. Those are the official languages.
3. Be in Belgium and search for jobs is realistic than staying at home and be forwarding your curriculum vitae. Many employers do not fancy applicants by proxy.
4. You may seek the help of an organization called ACTIRIS that is the employment agency of the Brussels – Capital Region.
5. The following are the Recruitment agencies that may be of help in matching your skills to an employer that is appropriate for you:
6. Furthermore, these are websites that usually advertise jobs periodically:
WORK PERMIT IN BELGIUM
If you landed a job in Belgium, the next step is to apply for a work permit. It’s important to note that for any citizens of non-EU countries to work in Belgium such a person must obtain a work permit.
The work permit can be processed before your arrival in Belgium and it’s not the same things as a work visa, which is a permission to enter the country for work purposes. When or before the visa expires the holder must apply for a work permit. If you’re already in Belgium when the work permit is issued, you have the here return to your country of residence to apply for a work visa.
If you secure employment, there are some organisations which can process the application for a work permit for you.
Belgium has a temperate climate. In summary, winter is moderately cold but sometimes the temperature could fall below zero while summer is cool. Weather-wise the small country is bearable.
That’s all we can tell you for now on Travel to Belgium from Nigeria step by step guide.
- LIVING AND WORKING IN THE NETHERLANDS
- TRAVEL TO CAPE VERDE FROM NIGERIA STEP BY STEP GUIDE
- DRESS CODE FOR THE US VISA INTERVIEW – MALE/FEMALE
- LIVING AND WORKING IN NEW ZEALAND
- TRAVEL TO SEYCHELLES FROM NIGERIA STEP BY STEP GUIDE
Tags: Travel to Belgium from Nigeria step by step guide.