Dentist Salary In Nigeria – As humans, we always need to take good care of every part of our body to ensure that we don’t get infected by diseases or any other sort of infections, there are lots of medical professional in Nigeria that could help take care of each part of the human body to make the job easier on one person as you can’t expect a medical doctor or a surgeon to treat cases of the tooth. Getting to treat people daily practically requires them been encouraged in terms of payment. However, these medical practitioners are paid well depending on their field of the profession as different professions in Nigeria comes along with different salary scale.
Today, we are going to discuss dentistry, and Dentist salary in Nigeria, i.e., how much they are paid for the duties they carry out in their place of work, either been paid on a daily basis or monthly basis, and lots more which we think you should get to know about dentistry in Nigeria. Professions in the medical sector of a majority of the developing economies can be considered big fishes in the thickest part of the ocean. In general terms, these professions tend to be placed on income or salaries higher than lots of other occupations of which the income can be referred to as excellent and above average. These professions in the medical sector are noted to receive maximum respect in their various fields in the pharmaceutical sector. However, speaking of dentistry, although, this profession does not serve as the leading professionals in the medical industry, at least they are accorded societal prestige and high salaries in their place of work.
Dentist Salary In Nigeria
However, in a typical standard hospital or other associated health centers, aside from just the doctor, there are other medical practitioners which can be considered professionals that works hand-in-hand with the presiding doctor in achieving common and general goals, meanwhile, some of these medical professionals often have their career duties closely tied to that of the medical doctor, while the rest have their career roles and activities mutually limited from that of the doctors. Meanwhile, the dentist can be said to be on the middle ground as some would choose to work in the same hospital a medical doctor is while the majority will decide to stay on their own.
Dentists are also health care providers that tend to carry the traditional sense of the word “Doctor” and as such are entitled to the salary structures of their counterparts in the medical sector depending on the field.
Are you looking forward to knowing how much a dentist is paid? Well, here we have it, dentistry salary in Nigeria is an average of #250, 000 (Two hundred and fifty thousand nairas) per month. Meanwhile, others earn less than that, and some also earn higher than that, all depending on their years of experience in the field.
- What is Dentistry?
Dentistry is a name given to a medical profession practiced by a dentist, which deals with diagnosing and treatments of the tooth. Dentistry can also be described as a course studied by dentists in the University or Medical institution anywhere around the world.
- Who is a Dentist?
A dentist is a medical practitioner or professional that diagnoses and carry out treatments on patients who have teeth problems, gum problems, and other mouth-related issues. Dentists also after diagnosing and treatment give out advice as well as lays out instructions on the care of the teeth and gums, more even, on the diet choices that tend to affect oral health.
- Duties of Dentists
Dentists are known to majorly to carryout out functions of treating the teeth and gums, quite correct, let’s take a look at other duties of dentists;
- Dentists fill cavities as well as remove decays from the teeth
- Dentists also removed teeth, and even repair fractured or cracked teeth.
- Dentists after treatment can place whitening agents or sealants on teeth.
- Dentists before the commencement of treatment administer anesthetics to prevent the patient from feeling pains during the process of therapy.
- Dentists also prescribe antibiotics and other necessary medications to patients.
- Dentists also inspect the x rays of teeth, gums, the jaw, and other mouth areas to diagnose problems.
- Dentists make models and dimensions for dental appliances, which include dentures, to suit the patient’s problem.
- Dentists tutor patients on diets, flossing, fluoride use, and another piece of dental care.
Dentists are known to make use of different varieties of equipment, which includes x-ray machines, mouth mirrors, drills, forceps, probes, brushes, lasers, scalpels, digital scanners, and other computer technologies.
Furthermore, private practice dentists oversee different varieties of administrative tasks which include, bookkeeping, purchase of equipment, and supplies. They are also known to need help, and as such, they employ the services of dental hygienists, dental laboratory technicians, dental assistants, and receptionists, while most dentists are general professionals and practitioners as they handle a different variety of dental requirements.
There are series of dentists’ specializations which includes;
- Endodontists: How does that sound? Well, an endodontist is known to perform root canal therapy, how do they get this done? They are capable of removing the nerves and blood supply from an injured or infected tooth.
- Dental Public health specialists: they uphold good dental health as well as the prevention of dental diseases in a particular community.
- Oral and Maxillofacial radiologists: these professionals are in charge of diagnosing diseases in the neck and head through the use of imaging technologies.
- Oral Pathologists: they diagnose problems in the mouth which includes ulcers, bumps, and cancer (Oral diseases)
- Oral and Maxillofacial surgeons: they operate the jaws, teeth, neck, gums, head, and the mouth generally as they perform procedures such as the surgical repairs of a cleft lip and palate or casting out impacted teeth.
- Periodontists: they take care of the gum as well as the bones that support the teeth.
- Orthodontists: they are capable of straightening the teeth through the application of pressure to the teeth with braces or any other appliances deemed fit to get the job done.
- Dentist Training
The training period undergone by dentists is often bound to span for 2-4 years in association with specialty programs. Meanwhile, the general dentist practically does not need additional training after graduating from dental school. But dentist who wants to venture into teaching or carry out researches for full time often spends another 2-5 years in improved dental training.
- Important Qualities for Dentists
- Communication skills. Dentists must be capable of communicating effectively with patients, dental assistants, dental hygienists, and receptionists.
- Detail-oriented. Dentists must be focused on the shape and color of a particular tooth and also bear in mind the space between them. For instance, they may be required to closely match a false tooth with a patient’s other teeth.
- Dexterity. Dentists must be more than capable of working with their hands. They must always work cautiously with tools in a small space and also ensure the safety of their patients.
- Leadership skills. Dentists that manage and lead staff in their dental practices must possess a good leadership feature.
- Organizational skills. They must be able to keep correct records of the patient.
- Patience. Dentists may tend to work for longer hours with patients who may likely need special attention.
- Physical stamina. Dentists are often noted to bend over patients for long periods, therefore, they must be fit.
- Problem-solving skills. Dentists must be capable of evaluating patients’ symptoms and prescribe the appropriate treatments.
- SCIENCE LABORATORY TECHNOLOGY SALARY IN NIGERIA
- BIOCHEMIST SALARY IN NIGERIA
- RADIOGRAPHER SALARY IN NIGERIA
- MICROBIOLOGIST SALARY IN NIGERIA
- GRADE LEVEL 08 SALARY IN NIGERIA – DETAILS, AND ANALYSIS
Conclusion On Dentist Salary In Nigeria
Nigeria is a country that regards medical professionals, and as such they are well paid widely across the country, mostly, medical practitioners in the private sector enjoy the steady income, while those in the public sector vary in the aspect of steady income depending on the government in power.
Tag: Dentist salary in Nigeria.